No matter how hard you try, spills and stains will happen. However; you can keep your carpets looking new if clean spills properly. Below are 8 simple steps for cleaning a carpet or rug that has been soiled by food or drink.
- Scoop up as much of the spill as possible, with a towel or a spoon.
- Blot the spot: don’t rub or scrub. Gently press clean cloths into the stained area to remove moisture. Scrubbing can damage the fiber and set the stain into the carpet.
- Apply warm, not hot, water to the attained area and blot until the stain stops transferring to the cloth.
- If you can still see the stain, make a Detergent Solution by adding ¼ teaspoons dishwashing liquid to one cup warm water. Don’t use too much soap, because it’s difficult to rinse out the carpet.
- Apply the detergent solution, let sit for five minutes, and then rinse with clear warm water. Repeat until all the detergent is removed.
- Place layers of white paper towels on the spill to absorb the liquid. Weight down the towel with a non staining glass or ceramic object. You can let them sit overnight, if you wish.
- When the carpet is dry, vacuum to restore the texture.
- If you can see then stain after all this, repeat steps 3 through 7. It means the stain penetrated deep into the pile and has wicked up the surface.
Always keep in mind that the number one rule is time, the faster you start treating the spill, the more likely you are to avoid any staining at all.
Cleaning Steps Courtesy –
Trackback from your site.